Sunday, May 29, 2011

Sweet and Sour Crab!

This is one of my favourite dishes! I could eat crab every single day if it wasn't so expensive. Every weekend, when Dave asks "Hey honey, what would you like for dinner?",  I always have crab on my mind. 

This is a really easy dish to make and takes no time at all! 


Serves 3-4 people

Ingredients:
2 Dungeness BC crabs
6 cloves of garlic
About 2 thumbs length of ginger
Tomato garlic sauce (I use Lee Kum Kee)
2 tablespoons of ketchup
Optional: 2 tablespoons of chili sauce


Instructions:
1. Peel and mince the garlic and ginger. I use our mini food processor from Cuisinart, which is heaven sent! It takes about 10 seconds to mince everything in it. You can get it at most stores like The Bay and Home Outfitters for about C$30.



2. Heat up about 2 tablespoons of cooking oil (I use canola) and fry the ginger. Once the ginger is fragrant, put the garlic in and stir everything around. Watch closely to ensure the garlic doesn't burn. 




3. Add the ketchup and tomato garlic sauce. I use Lee Kum Kee's but you can use just plain ketchup. My mom used to make it with ketchup mixed with a little bit of water and it was just as tasty! Add a 1/4 cup of water in and mix it around.




4. Add the crab to the pot/wok. You can ask the guy behind the counter at the grocery store to chop it up for you. We bought a live crab once and it traumatized me to kill it. Dave did the dirty work but it is much better to get someone else to do it! Stir everything around a few times and put the lid on. If the mixture seems too thick, you can always add a bit more water in. Don't add too much though cause the crab will add liquid to the whole mix. Add the chili sauce if you want it a bit spicier. 



5. After 15-20 minutes, you get a delicious crab dish! I serve it piping hot with some rice. I guarantee you will end up wiping all the sauce up with any bits of rice you have left! 


ENJOY!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogging world Su! Your crab looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to try out your crab dish one day, Ee Su.

    Marcus

    ReplyDelete